Dr. Charles Boustany, Jr. is a former Congressman (R-LA) and prominent heart surgeon, and now a partner with Capitol Counsel, LLC. During his 12 years in Congress, Dr. Boustany served on the influential House Committee on Ways and Means, where he was Chairman of the Subcommittees on Tax Policy, Oversight, and Human Resources. As a Ways and Means Committee member, Dr. Boustany established himself as an expert and leader on tax, trade, health care, and entitlement policy. Dr. Boustany is a leader in trade assistance and enforcement issues and has led seminars on the conduct of legislative oversight for members of parliament from emerging democracies. He has authored numerous opinion pieces on health care, energy, trade and foreign policy in Politico, The Hill, The Wall Street Journal, and in the peer-reviewed journal Asia Policy. For 14 years, Dr. Boustany had a private practice of medicine in the field of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery in Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans – M.D.
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette – B.S.
- U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. – Republican who represented Louisiana’s 3rd Congressional District from 2013-2017; and represented Louisiana’s 7th Congressional District from 2005-2013.
- Subcommittee on Tax Policy, House Committee on Ways and Means – Chairman
- Subcommittee on Oversight, House Committee on Ways and Means – Chairman
- Subcommittee on Human Resources, House Committee on Ways and Means – Chairman
- U.S.-China Working Group – Co-chair
- U.S.-Japan Congressional Caucus – Co-chair
- Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Caucus – Founder, Co-chair
- House Doctors Caucus – Co-founder
- Lafayette General Medical Center, Lafayette, LA – Cardiovascular surgeon before elected to Congress in 2004.
- Association of Former Members of Congress – Vice President
- National Bureau of Asian Research – Counselor, Senior Adviser
- Council on Foreign Relations – Member
- Center for Strategic and International Studies – Advisory Board
- Washington International Trade Association – Member
- Washington International Trade Congressional Leadership Award – 2014
- Urban Maes Award for Excellence in Surgery, Louisiana State University School of Medicine
As a member of Congress, Boustany successfully led the effort to increase funding for ports and waterways. Legislative victories include co-authorship and passage of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) and the PROTECT Act, which strengthened enforcement of U.S. international trade laws. He passed several bills benefiting veterans that included securing the construction of two new veterans clinics in south Louisiana. Boustany was also a leader in the efforts to pass trade promotion authority and in the passage of several free trade agreements that included Panama, Columbia and South Korea. Boustany also helped lift the ban on crude oil exports and expanded liquefied natural gas exports. Other legislative successes include health care relief for small businesses and reforming IRS practices, and key legislation on health savings accounts, and international tax. Before his election to Congress, Boustany launched extensive quality improvement in open heart surgery programs in two community hospitals that led to national recognition for quality.