Jim Gottlieb is “Of Counsel” to Capitol Counsel, LLC. He brings over four decades of senior-level experience to our clients from positions on Capitol Hill, in the private and non-profit sectors, and his own government affairs firm, Gottlieb Strategic Consulting, which he started in 2009. Gottlieb has in-depth experience in legislation, oversight and investigations, political roles on Capitol Hill, foundation management, consulting, and strategic advisory roles outside of government. Gottlieb has specialized interest and experience working on brain health and patient advocacy issues; he has also worked on aviation, telecommunications, e-commerce, oversight and investigations, mergers and acquisitions, and health care matters.
- New York Law School – J.D.
- New York University – M.A.Ed. Michigan State University – B.A.
- Gottlieb Strategic Consulting, Washington, D.C. – Founder
- National Patient Advocate Foundation (NPAF), Washington, D.C. – Executive Vice President. Spearheaded government affairs activities designed to work with members of Congress and their staffs to find solutions to patient access issues, as well as work with pharmaceutical firms, provider groups, and other D.C.-based patient groups with similar issues and interests.
- George Washington University Medical Center’s Center for Health Services & Policy, Washington, D.C. – Strategic management consultant under a grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts.
- Office of Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), Washington, D.C. – Chief of Staff. Was responsible for the senator’s legislative, community, economic development and political operations.
- Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Washington, D.C. – Chief Counsel and Staff Director
- Subcommittee on Human Resources & Government Relations of the House Committee on Government Operations (now House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform), Washington, D.C. – Staff Director
- Office of Congressman Ted Weiss (D-NY), Washington, D.C. – Chief of Staff
- Cognitive Research Enterprises, Inc. (CRE) (formerly, the Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute) – Director of the Board. A medical research institute dedicated to the study of memory and brain disorders.
- Neurotrope BioScience – Director of the Board. A pharmaceutical company working on cures for Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
Gottlieb left Capitol Hill in 2003 to serve as chief management consultant to the Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute, a medical research institute dedicated to the study of memory and brain disorders. Gottlieb managed the restructuring of this multimilliondollar medical research facility for the study of brain disorders. During this time, he also continued to serve as legal counsel and policy adviser to Senator Rockefeller, the Institute’s chairman.