Sara Franko is a partner with Capitol Counsel, LLC, specializing in health care policy, legislative strategy and congressional oversight. Franko brings three decades of congressional and private sector experience to help clients develop multifaceted strategies to advance legislative interests and respond to congressional inquiries. She uses her writing and editing skills to enable clients to build support among stakeholders with different perspectives. Her practice focuses on Medicare, Medicaid, chronic conditions, and initiatives to enhance patient access to health care services.
Georgetown University – M.P.P. Duke University – B.A., cum laude
- Strategic Health Solutions, Washington, D.C. – Principal. Provided strategic advice and direct advocacy to secure legislative and policy changes on behalf of health care clients. Analyzed impact of major health legislation on patient access to health care products and services.
- Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc., Washington, D.C. – Director of Federal Government Affairs. Managed legislative efforts for large pharmaceutical and diagnostics manufacturer focusing on Medicare reimbursement, diagnostics, transplantation, obesity and dermatology. Directed the company’s political action committee activities.
- Winston & Strawn, Washington, D.C. – Legislative Adviser. Represented the law firm’s corporate, association, and governmental clients before Congress on health care, veterans’ affairs, finance, and oversight.
- Congressional experience, Washington, D.C. – Served as Washington Chief of Staff, Legislative Director, and Legislative Assistant for Democratic members of the House Energy and Commerce, and Ways and Means Committees. Oversaw the legislative program and served as principal adviser on health and consumer protection agendas.
- National Association of Community Health Centers – Distinguished Congressional Staff Award
- National Association of Children’s Hospitals – A Friend of Children and Children’s Hospitals Award
Franko contributed to successful efforts to improve Medicare reimbursement for outpatient cancer therapies and extend Medicare coverage for immunosuppressive therapy. Franko drafted successful legislation to establish guidelines for infection control for emergency medical services personnel and protect consumers from dangerous products. During service to the Energy and Commerce Oversight Subcommittee, chaired by the Honorable John Dingell (D-MI), she assisted in the investigation of pharmaceutical counterfeiting and diversion that led to enactment of the Prescription Drug Marketing Act.